Our film that we worked very hard on is finally done. It seems unreal because we have been talking about ıt and working on it for a long time. We named it Jouska, which means a hypothetical conversation in someones head in Japanese. It sums up the main character since the short film is about the mind journey of the protagonist and a self recreation in the process. She gets the bullies out of her head and is now free of them. The last scene was the most fun too shoot. We could see the progress in our shots and angles which made us proud. It was also a sentimental one. The film was finally, sadly, over...
My part in this film was directing.I was the one behind the camera trying to film and make sure everything went according to the plan. I also took part as a figurant in the very first scene. We mostly did everything together; planning, writing, editing... The parts we played made us differ. I learned very much about the behind-the-scenes and directing. Nothing is as easy as it looks. As Alan Parker said: "You make three films. One when you write it, one when you shoot it and one when you cut it together in the editing. With luck they are not too dissimilar from one another." Altogether we are happy with the result but it is not what we started with in our minds. Directing was also a great oppurtunity to learn about myself. It might have even affected my decision about my major.
My aim for choosing IB Film making class was to create something original. After the lessons started, I learned about the history and elements that make up a film. I learned from our teacher that creating a film requires hard work and planning but I did not truly understand the meaning of these words until we started our own film. We brainstormed on ideas and decided on the plot. We began filming, thinking it would be just as we had planned but the work we filmed did not turn out great. We filmed too much and wasted time on unimportant details. The most challenging part was to see that our work this far was basically wasted time, the shots were not good, the scenes were too long and there was no fluency at all between shots. We sat down and planned everything from the start. We decided separately on every shot. The restart demoralized us. At least we learned a great lesson on the importance of planning and carrying out the plan. As soon as we saw the change and progress in our scenes we got excited, more eager to work on it. We had great shots and while editing we got better at cutting and combining scenes to achieve fluency for the audience. The original music will turn out to be very nice. We still have a lot to work on so we look forward to every single Film class.
I was the director and cameraman for many of the scenes we shot. I learned that I am better behind the scenes than on screen. I loved giving instructions about the situations and directing the actors and actresses. I might have found my dream job!
We have been working on this film for several months and the results now are closer to our expectations. Our film revolves around the film movements throughout history. We have done Classical Hollywood and Surrealism so far.The next scenes will be about Film noir and science fiction. Our lessons about these movements were very effective because we build the film based on knowledge. Our film is evolving with every new scene and every effect that is added. We will spend a lot of time determining which scenes to choose and which scenes to take out. It is a great experience because we are learning as we go and in the end this film will be in the European Film Festival. I am sure we will be proud of it once it is done.
When we first saw the Kuleshov Effect video we did not really know how to look at it. After watching it we realised it had a real impact on our brains. Mixing the two seperate visuals and making sense out of them is something our brain does magically. Soon after the video we started discussing what to do and how to express our Kuleshov effect by making a video ourselves. We started with a teddybear, chocolate and an injured cat at our school. The braintorming was very effective and once we actually begun filming we knew we had to make changes. After filming one of our classmates we moved on making the other one a little girl by tying her hair up into two buns. Then we went to the park inside our campus to film more and saw the injured cat there. It was a miracle that we found her sleeping there in the open. Finding it so soon was a big surprise and we filmed it with a few different shots. Then our friend who was playing the little girl swinged and we filmed that too. Just before making another shot of the still face, because we were not very impressed with the first one, our friend who was the still face untied her hair miraculously and it lookedn so good on camera we decided to film that. Another person became the still face and we used the other girl as our third effect. In the end we had a little girl playing, the injured cat and